Old Buildings

Charlton Baptist Chapel
The old Baptist chapel situated on Canada Bank was built in 1846. At various times, due to declining support, services were no longer held and in 1892 it was recorded as being rented by the Charlton Working Men’s Institute as a club room. However, services were resumed during the 1920s. In 1948 the building was sold by the Baptists and converted into a private dwelling.
The Hollies Farm
Old buildings in The Hollies farm off Top Street. A new residential development of 9 detached houses was completed in late 1980s
Honeysuckle Cottage
Honeysuckle Cottage, Top Street. This photo was probably taken in the late 1960s, since when the cottage has been the subject of extensive renovations and modernisation
Aerial View Charlton Church
Aerial view showing Charlton Church, the Old Schoolroom, the old Vicarage and the old Bakery
Charlton Manor House in its prime, the former home of the Dingley family, who lived in Charlton for around 400 years. The architectural style is “William and Mary”, which probably dates the original construction to the 17th century, although substantial modifications and improvements had been made when this photo was taken in the 1920s
The Drawing Room of the Manor House with walls covered with elegant William and Mary wood panelling. There is also a solid oak floor and black marble fireplace.
Charlton Manor House now derelict, prior to demolition in the 1970s. The development known as “The Dovecote” was later built on the site
Garden Cottage in the late 1960s, showing the now ruined manor house in the centre background
Old Black and White cottage that used to stand on The Bight. Picture probably taking some time in the 1920s
Derelict dovecote from Charlton Manor estate. The building was restored when the housing development known as “The Dovecote” was built on the old manor house land in the 1970s. It is now a listed building
Interior of St John The Evangelist church in 1877
The old ford on Brook Lane. “Stocky Brook” is now known as”Merry Brook”. The road still floods here following heavy rain
Old barn at Whitehouse farm
Church cottages in Ryden Lane c.1920s
Milk being delivered to the Gardeners Arms by horse drawn cart c.1920s
Village Shop/Bakery
Building at the junction of Brook Lane and Ryden Lane that housed Charlton’s bakery in Victorian times. This photo is thought to have been taken around 1910. It housed the Village shop in the 1970s and 1980s but has now reverted to being a private residence
Hollie Farm Aerial View
Aerial view of The Hollies farm, prior to residential development with Holly House shown in the centre of the picture
Ryden Lane/Brook Lane Junction
Aerial view of the junction of Ryden Lane and Brook Lane believed to have been taken c.1940. The old bakery together with its outbuildings and the Church can be seen clearly. The building in the Church garden was the working men’s social club, later used as a private dwelling and later still housing the Village youth club. It was finally demolished in the 1960s
Aerial view of the village green around 1964. Note lack of trees and also absence of the housing developments along Canada Bank and also “The Dovecote” which was built on the site of the old manor house
The main hall showing the carved oak staircase and the stained glass window on the half landing
The old stable block, probably constructed in the 17th century in the same architectural style as the Manor House
The extensive landscaped gardens of the Manor House in its heyday. Not shown are the tennis and croquet lawns, rose garden, walled kitchen garden and orchard
Rutters Farm Cottage on The Bight, showing the old black and white cottage to the right. The adjacent land was sympathetically developed in the 1980s comprising houses and flats arranged around a small courtyard.
The same cottage on fire during 1960s. Unfortunately it was almost completely destroyed.
Charlton manor house viewed from the church garden
The Old Vicarage c.1950’s, demolished in the 1990s to make way for new houses, including sheltered accomodation for the elderly
The church of St John the Evangelist in Ryden Lane. The bellcote which is clearly visible at the far end was removed during restoration works in 1988 to prevent the weight forcing the supporting walls apart
Old houses on The Strand
Building which later became the village Post Office (and regular source of sweets for children getting on and off the various school buses). Now converted to two dwellings
The Gardeners Arms c.1900
Cottages on The Green
Bridge over Merry Brook and Canada Bank